Thursday, December 6, 2018

Post 11: My Advert’s Soundscapes

For both my adverts, I needed to think about how my dialogue, sound effects, and music were going to fit together to make sure that nothing overlapped. I wanted to find some music that was upbeat to match the advert's style and I needed to insert diegetic sounds, such as a doorbell sound, and the door closing.

I used a website called freeplaymusic.com to have copyright free music. It allows the user to choose a  genre and then download any sound clip of choice. I only put the music in once the YourFood app was seen on screen in my adverts, and made sure it was at a low volume so as to not drown out the dialogue. The track I chose was called “happy classics”. I included it in both my adverts to create synergy between the two, this way my audience would recognize the brand and make it more memorable.

Screenshot of the 'freeplaymusic.com' website

I made the doorbell and the door-shutting sound effects by holding the microphone right next to the door closing and the doorbell. I then used the clips and separated the audio from the video so I could insert the audio parts at the right moment in the video, i.e when the delivery man shuts the door. These sounds make the video more plausible. I had to write out the dialogue script for my actors beforehand, so they were able to learn their lines and the shooting, on the day, would go more smoothly. This also enabled me to see how quickly they needed to say their lines so that the video was no longer than 30 seconds.

Advert 1: dialogue + VO + SFX + music
Advert 2: dialogue + VO + SFX + music
I used these diegetic sounds and the upbeat music as they are conventional to food delivery adverts. I saw them in most of the adverts I researched, such as the JustEat 'Magic is Real' advert. I did this to make my adverts feel more realistic. Having planned both a script and edit process of fitting in all my sound elements, allowed me to make sure I filled up all 30 seconds with some sort of sound, whether it was VO, dialogue or music and that the music/SFX wouldn't drown out the dialogue. Finally, by including typical sound effects of a food delivery advert, in both my adverts, it allowed me to create consistency within my brand through sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment